Image credit: A whimsical dinner party with AI-generated dishes, image created by the AI image generator, MidJourney.
We asked an artificial intelligence (AI) chatbot, called ChatGPT, to create a dinner recipe to pair with two of Croma Vera’s wines. We provided the AI with a summary of the wines, including the name, vintage, varietals, and tasting notes.
First, a bit of background if you’re new to AI. AI stands for "artificial intelligence," which is a type of computer technology that is designed to mimic human intelligence. The promise of AI is that it can think, learn, and make decisions like a human. ChatGPT is a specific type of AI designed to understand and generate human language. It can understand what people say to it and respond in a way that makes sense, similar to how a person would respond.
Here are the recipes AI recommended, as well as the description of why each recipe would pair well with the selected wine.
2018 Grenache: Pork Loin With Cherry and Herb Reduction
A great dinner recipe to pair with the Croma Vera Wines Grenache would be a pork loin with a cherry and herb reduction. The rich and juicy flavors of the pork will complement the cherry and herb notes in the wine, and the acidity in the wine will cut through the richness of the pork.
- Pork loin (1-2 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Red wine (1 cup)
- Cherry juice (1 cup)
- Fresh mint (1/4 cup chopped)
- Fresh marjoram (1/4 cup chopped)
- White pepper (1/4 tsp)
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a small saucepan, combine the red wine and cherry juice. Bring to a simmer and reduce by half.
- Add the chopped mint, marjoram, and white pepper to the saucepan and stir to combine.
- Season the pork loin with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Sear the pork loin on all sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer the pork loin to a baking dish and roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 145F.
- Let the pork loin rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve the pork loin with the cherry and herb reduction spooned over the top.
- Enjoy with a glass of Croma Vera Grenache.
We made this recipe, and it worked out well. The cooking time was understated by about 15 minutes, and the cherry sauce reduction would have benefitted from fresh cherries.
2017 Tempranillo Maduro: Hearty Beef Stew
A good dinner recipe to pair with the Croma Vera Wines Tempranillo Maduro would be a hearty beef stew. The bold flavors of the stew, such as red wine, beef broth, and vegetables, will complement the dark cherries, black plums, and wood spice notes in the wine. The richness and robustness of the stew will also balance the smoothness and silkiness of the wine.
- 2 lbs beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red wine (such as Tempranillo)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- Season the beef cubes with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef cubes and brown on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to the pot and cook for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
- Pour in the red wine and scrape the bottom of the pot to release any browned bits.
- Return the beef cubes to the pot and add the beef broth, diced tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, and rosemary.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and cook for 2-3 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Add the potatoes and mushrooms and continue cooking for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and season the stew with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the stew in bowls and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Enjoy with a glass of Croma Vera Tempranillo Maduro.
Note: This recipe can also be cooked in a slow cooker or Instant Pot by browning the beef and sauteéing the vegetables first before adding everything to the slow cooker or Instant Pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.